Ayurvedic Yoga Massage (AYM) is a method developed by Master Kusum Modak in Pune, India, after many years of studying traditional Ayurvedic massage and Iyengar yoga.
It is well-round body work technique that has his foundation in:
- deep tissue techniques with both hands and feet for each body parts
- balancing oils and powders
- assisted yoga stretches
- use of props to offer the massage
- functional anatomy and breathwork
The technique is performed on the floor as this allows for a wide range of stretching and mobility, without the assist of a massage table.
The AYM is an amazing technique which works on physical, emotional, mental and energetic levels: the deep tissue massage helps to remove knots and adhesions in the muscles, releases tension and prepares the body of the receiver for assisted yoga stretching. Through synchronized breathwork, the receiver is led progressively deeper into assisted yoga postures that help correct postural imbalances and restore harmony to the body.
What will you learn?
- How to perform deep tissue techniques for the back, shoulders, neck, arms and back of the legs when your partner is face down/prone.
- We explore the use of the feet and body weight to deeply massage the larger muscle groups as well as a set of assisted yoga stretches for the spine, shoulder blades, hips, knees and ankles.
- How to give deep tissue techniques for the front of the legs, abdomen, shoulders, arms, hands, neck, head and face.
- We will explore assisted yoga stretches for hamstrings, hips, spine and neck
- How to communicate deeper with your partner, using coordinated breath-work to assist the stretches;
- “Walking on the body” will be demonstrated so that you can explore safely how to balance your body weight and use your feet to massage the body in long strokes. This gives you the potential to use more pressure if needs be, adjusting your body weight.
- Body dynamics and different positions: so that offering a massage can be a healing experience for both the giver and the receiver.
- In keeping with the tradition of Ayurveda, herbal oils and medicinal powders are utilized for their healing properties
- Therapist/giver body mechanic and self-care will be taught throughout
How you will learn?
The approach is hands on and partner based: you will receive a lot of attention one to one from the teachers that will demonstrate each set of technique in detail and they will be available for questions and to support you directly and hands on.
You will be working with your partner practicing on them each set of technique: you will benefit from the feedback received.
One of the best ways of learning is by transmission: this is what creates the embodied and deeper experience from which you will be able to share touch with awareness.
What are the benefits of this technique and to whom you can offer it?
The AYM is an amazing technique which works on physical, emotional, mental and energetic level and you will be able to calibrate it to suit everyone’s needs, whether that is relaxing, energizing, soothing or repairing.
The deep tissue massage helps to remove knots and adhesion in the muscles, releases tension and prepares the body of the receiver for assisted yoga stretching. Through synchronized breath-work, the receiver is led progressively deeper into assisted yoga postures that help correct postural imbalances and restore harmony to the body.
What are the prerequisite to attend this workshop?
The technique is accessible to anyone the moment is practiced progressively: attendance of the “Introduction to Ayurvedic Massage Workshop” is highly recommended to gain the tools to incorporate the new techniques. If you haven’t participated yet please enquiry on the next Introduction course; when in doubt please contact Ombretta (email@example.com) that will be happy to answer your questions support you in assessing if this course is the right one for you right now.
At the end of the 4 days you will feel to have deepened your own relationship with touch and you will feel confident in sharing the full massage or parts of it with friends, partners, family members and/or clients. The workshop is taught in a way that is accessible and it suits well beginners and professional massage therapists alike that want to learn a new technique. Students receive an Ayurveda Yoga Massage Certificate issued by Delight Yoga and a manual.
Teacher: Ombretta Dettori & Eva Ugolini
Location: Amsterdam, Delight Yoga Weteringschans
1 June 2023
2 June 2023
3 June 2023
4 June 2023
Time: 9:00 - 17:30
Price: € 495
Please contact Ombretta (firstname.lastname@example.org) for any questions you may have about this program and your participation, we will be happy to address any of them. If you have any enquiry of administrative nature, please contact us directly email@example.com.