How to Practice: Jānu Śīrṣāsana A
by Delight Yoga
Jānu Śīrṣāsana A, or 'Head to knee pose A', is the tenth posture in the Primary Series of the Astanga Vinyasa yoga system.
The Primary Series is said to be the most demanding because it is the first series you learn as a beginner - and every beginning is hard. It is called Yoga Chikitsa, meaning Yoga Therapy. It is a series for cleansing and healing the body.
The Primary Series sets the foundation for all of the following series. If you look superficially, it may seem as if the Primary Series is the easiest of the six series in the Astanga Vinyasa System, but in fact, it is the most demanding. It is here that you start your practice, where you get used to the breath and Vinyasas, and to your daily yoga practice.
Jānu Śīrṣāsana A Benefits
- Calms the brain and helps relieve mild depression
- Stretches the spine, shoulders, hamstrings and groins
- Stimulates the liver and kidneys
- Improves digestion
- Helps relieve the symptoms of menopause
- Relieves anxiety, fatigue, headache, menstrual discomfort
- Therapeutic for high blood pressure, insomnia and sinusitis
- Strengthens the back muscles during pregnancy (up to second trimester), done without coming forward, keeping your back spine concave and front torso long