How to practice: Marīcyāsana A (Marichi pose A)
by Delight Yoga
Marīcyāsana A or 'Marichi pose A, is the eleventh posture in the Primary Series of the Astanga Vinyasa yoga system.
The Primary Series is said to be the most demanding because it is the first series you learn as a beginner - and every beginning is hard. It is called Yoga Chikitsa, meaning Yoga Therapy. It is a series for cleansing and healing the body.
The Primary Series sets the foundation for all of the following series. If you look superficially, it may seem as if the Primary Series is the easiest of the six series in the Astanga Vinyasa System, but in fact, it is the most demanding. It is here that you start your practice, where you get used to the breath and Vinyasas, and to your daily yoga practice.
Marīcyāsana A Benefits
- Calms the brain and relieves mental tension
- Stretches the spine and shoulders
- Stimulates abdominal organs like the liver and kidneys
- Improves digestion
- Relieves menstrual pain and lower back pain
- Strengthens the uterus and encourages healthy pregnancy (can be practised during pregnancy up to 6 months if comfortable)