Discover traditional Pranayama
Pranayama Teacher Training
with Sri Sudhir Tiwari
A teacher training program following the lineage of Kaivalyadham
This program aims at providing structured and protocol based training in pranayama based on authentic and authoritative yogic texts as outlined by Swami Kuvalyananda in the Kaivalyadham Lineage.
With pranayama generating much interest in the current yoga culture worldwide and it being an immensely important and sensitive practice, it is pivotal that pranayama is taught correctly from a traditional, technical and scientific perspective.
Keeping the above in mind, Sudhir has designed a course which follows the footsteps of the 3-year teacher training he designed for Kaivalyadham. This course is adapted to 1 year, following the same principles, in which students will gain a proper understanding of pranayamic practices from an intellectual (traditional, technical and scientific) as well as practical and experiential point of view, so that they can correctly teach the same to students in various settings.
The overall theme of this course will revolve around the definition, the techniques (and its variations) and the outcome of pranayamic practices. The outcome will be discussed based on Ayurveda as well as modern science.
Students will be expected to learn all the six traditional cleansing practices (Shat Kriyas: Neti, Nauli, Dhauti, Basti, Kapalabathi, Trataka). Exceptions can be made in case of medical limitations.
Reference texts will be:
- Asana, Pranayama and Yogic Therapy by Swami Kuvalyananda. This will cover the fundamentals of pranayama and asanas in the Kaivalyadham lineage based on its traditional and scientific authentication, also its application toward Yogic Therapy.
- Hatha Yoga Pradipika: We will cover Chapter 2 which exclusively deals with Pranayama and Shat Kriyas.
- Gerhanda Samhita: will cover Chapter 5 of this text, which discusses Pranayama as well as excerpt from Chapter 1 which deals with Kriyas.
- Science of Self Healing by Vasant Lad: Based on this text we will cover the fundamentals of Ayurveda and the disease process as applied to Pranayama.
- Teaching Practice by Dr. Gharote: This will cover the fundamentals of teaching Yoga. In addition, there will be presentations on topics relating to Pranayama and Research.
The curriculum presented in the Pranayama Training will give you a clear insight into the most relevant aspects of a traditional yoga practice, its textual context, and its specific focus on pranayamic practices.
Subjects presented will cover the following in Kaivalyadham lineage:
- Hatha Yogic asanas
- Shat kriyas (6 cleansing practices)
- Traditional yogic texts
- Teaching skills
- Mantra Chanting
- Selected Meditative Techniques
Tentative schedule subject to modification based on circumstances:
- 09:00 – 10:30 Pranayama and Preparatory Techniques
- 10:30 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 12:00 Lecture
- 12:00 – 13:00 Lunch Break
- 13:00 – 14:00 Lecture & Discussion
- 14:15 – 15:00 Q&A and Chanting
- 15:15 – 16:15 Asanas
- 16:30 – 17:45 Pranayama, Meditation Techniques & Discussions