Taught by expert teachers in their specialized field
Astanga Yoga : Practice Foundation Course
Starting on 03 November 2019 Go to schedule
This workshop has taken place already, please visit our Workshop Page for a more recent offering of workshops and trainings.
Would you like to broaden your understanding of astanga yoga or would you like to establish a regular practice? Get confident with the main aspects of the Astanga Yoga system: breath, bandhas, drishti and vinyasa, and get a solid base from which you can continue your self-practice. This practice foundation course will give you a chance to deepen this practice with some of our most dedicated teachers.
5 full days
The Practice Foundation Course is a concise but intensive course in the Primary Series of the Astanga Yoga system, covering the following aspects:
- yoga philosophy
Upon completion of this course you will:
- be familiar with the Astanga Yoga system
- understand the intention behind this Yoga Sadhana (practice)
- know the sequence of postures of the Primary Series and their names
- be able to modify these asanas where necessary
- feel confident and rooted in the main aspects of this practice: Breath, Bandhas, Drishti and Vinyasa
- be familiar with the transitions and the so-called vinyasa system
- learn practices to regulate your breathing
- understand the phisolophical context of Astanga Yoga and the Eight Limbs of Patanjalis Yoga Sutras
The Practice Foundation Course is a unique and intensive program that demands dedication from the students. Spread over a period of a few weeks and consisting of 5 full days (on Sundays), you will be taken step by step through the sequence of Primary Series, building up the practice progressively and having taken the time to explore each pose, with its own vinyasas and possible modifications. Special attention will be dedicated throughout the course to the fundamental elements of this practice - ujjayi breath, the 3 main bandhas, the concentration aspect and the vinyasa method. You will get an experiential understanding of how these elements flow together and interact with each other in this very unique Astanga way.
You will be invited to practice at home or in the shala in between the days of this course, so you will have the time to build your self-practice and to integrate the understanding of the new postures. You will work with 2 different Astanga teachers, so you will hear from their experience how unique this journey can be and understand how different this approach to Astanga sometimes can be. The teachers will also bring in more of the bigger picture of yoga, its philosophical roots and its living applications, bringing forth the direct experience of parampara – the knowledge that is passed on in succession from teacher to student.
Upon completion of this program you will be familiar with the Astanga Vinyasa Yoga system and able to apply it to your life, you will understand the intention behind this Yoga Sadhana (practice), and you will have a solid foundation to intelligently apply to your practice, whether alone at home, in led classes or in a mysore program.
This course will provide you with a safe and solid base from which to continue your self-practice, having developed trust in the wisdom of this potent and healing yoga system. It is recommended to all yoga students wanting to dive deeper into this profound, powerful and transforming Yoga Sadhana.
Please note that this course is not suitable for complete beginners - we ask you to have taken Astanga Yoga classes regularly for at least 3 months before joining the Practice Foundation Course.
The total cost is € 350,-, which includes 9% BTW (VAT) and the course material.
You can register buy clicking on the “book now” link below. Full payment is required at time of registration.
- Please make sure you meet the below requirements before registering for this course. If in doubt, please contact us via email with your questions or concerns.
- Minimum 3 months of regular Astanga Vinyasa Yoga classes (either led or mysore)
- participation to all 5 days of the program
- You will be asked to practice at least 3 times a week (ideally every day) throughout the duration of the course; make sure you create enough time for your practice
- Understanding of english (all teachings and the course material are in english)
- In preparation to this course, we also ask you to:
- watch the Primary Series video of "Guruji & the 6 Students" (no practice, just watching in full)
- Read the article on the origin of Astanga Yoga "Krishnamacharya's Legacy"
- establish a solid foundation of Surya Namaskara A & B by watching this tutorial from our friend Govinda Kai on the House of Yoga.
- 3 november : Claudia Pradella
- 10 november : Ingrid Notten
- 17 november : Ingrid Notten
- 1 december : Claudia Pradella
- 8 december : Ingrid Notten
You can register for this workshop by clicking ‘Book’ and paying online with iDeal, Credit Card or PayPal. Full payment is required to ensure your place. Registration is confirmed when payment is complete.
Are you entitled to a refund of the registration fee in case of cancellation? Please read article 16 ‘Cancellation of Workshop Registration’ in our General Terms and Conditions to know exactly where you stand.
About Claudia Pradella & Ingrid Notten
Claudia Pradella Claudia studied a variety of disciplines from coaching, to massage and dance therapy, but her affinity and interest in Eastern philosophy, reinforced by several journeys through Asia, led her to a deeper connection to the Yoga tradition. Combining her passion for travels and yoga, Claudia invested in several years of personal practice, a few teacher trainings and various studies with great teachers and masters from different traditions, like Sri K Pattabhi Jois and TKV Desikachar. Today Claudia is a fully committed student in the Astanga Vinyasa tradition, with a deep passion for the psychology of the yoga of Patanjali and with a strong believe in the benefits of an individual and balanced approach to yoga. She continues to travel every year to her teachers and mentors - Lino Miele and Sarah & Ty Powers, whose guidance she treasures dearly and with deep gratitude. Since 2003 she’s been living and teaching regular yoga classes in the Netherlands. She is program director at Delight Yoga, where she holds the Astanga Mysore Program with deep gratitude and full dedication. Ingrid Notten Ingrid has been practicing Yoga since 1998, when she took her very first Astanga Yoga class in London. This class made a deep impression on her and it became the starting point of an ongoing practice and study on the path of Yoga. Curious and interested in understanding the deeper meaning behind Yoga and the 8 limbed path, she studied Raja Yoga for 4 years including asana, pranayama, meditation and philosophy. Over the course of years, she explored and practiced various forms of asana like Hatha, Bikram and Kundalini. Eventually, fascinated by the depth and transformative power created by combining breath and movement in a daily self practice, she found her personal asana practice in Astanga Yoga. In 2011 she completed her teacher training with Paul Dallaghan. Additionally, she completed the Primary and Advanced teacher Training with David Swenson and practiced and studied intensively with Petri Raisanen. Ingrid is very excited to be able to share her enthusiasm and love for the Astanga practice and path based on all she has learned and experienced over the years. Also, Ingrid has been practicing and studying Pranayama for many years and goes to India every year in order to deepen her studies with her teacher Sri OP TiwariJi. Aside from guiding Yoga classes, Ingrid works as a (Shiatsu and Thai) Massage Therapist in Amsterdam.