Taught by expert teachers in their specialized field
Astanga Yoga Workshop - Mysore Practice & Lecture
Starting on 23 October 2018 Go to schedule
We are extremely honored to welcome Eddie Stern from New York back to Amsterdam!
Eddie is a well known yoga teacher, author, and lecturer based in Brooklyn, New York. He is known for his multi-disciplinary approach to furthering education and access to yoga, as well as his teaching expertise in Astanga Yoga. His approach combines the ancient philosophy and practices of yoga with a modern, scientific understanding of the neurophysiological mechanisms that make yoga work. Eddie has followed for more than twenty-five years the teachings of his guru Sri K. Pattabhi Jois, from whom he learned the most profound essence of the Astanga Yoga system. Always close to Guruji until his death in 2009, Eddie devoted his entire life to the study of the Ashtanga Yoga system, including its more esoteric aspects. He has studied Sanskrit and many of the scriptures of the Indian tradition as well as all aspects of the Indian and yogic culture. Eddie embodies the most authentic expression of how Indian thoughts can be relevant to our western lives. He's one of the most recognized and extraordinary teachers of Astanga Yoga in the world today and this workshop is a great opportunity to share with him the true and pure essence of this uniquely comprehensive system of yoga.
During this 4-days workshop Eddie will offer a combination of led classes, mysore practice and lectures for students already familiar with the Astanga Yoga method.
The program will start on Saturday with a guided class. To accommodate for more students and for different levels, we have split the led classes into 2 groups. The first group will practice 8:00-10:00 with a full primary on saturday and a primary with added the first half of Intermediate series on sunday. The second group will practice 10:30-11:45 with a half primary series led class on both day. Monday and Tuesday students can continue practicing with Eddie in the traditional Mysore Style of self practice. The classes will be followed by a chanting, lecture and philosophy session each day.
Mysore practice is appropriate for beginners as well as students of all levels and is the traditional method of learning yoga, one on one from teacher to student. These two days of Mysore classes are open for all students who attend the weekend led classes (also the beginners workshop), and anyone else that has prior knowledge of practicing Astanga Yoga.
- To register for the Mysore program and / or lectures on Monday and Tuesday, use the schedule below.
- To register for only the weekend-workshop, click here.
- To register for the full four days workshop, click here.
- If you are new to the Astanga Yoga method, click here for the Introduction to Astanga Yoga Workshop.
MONDAY 18 & TUESDAY 19 JUNE
- 06:00 - 10:00: Mysore practice (exact starting time will be communicated closer to date)
- 11:00 - 13:00: Chanting, lecture and philosophy session: Bija Mantras and Mysore Journals: The class is broken up into two parts. In the first part, we will chant the simple, single syllabled bija and petal chakra mantras that tune the subtle body. If you can imagine that your subtle body is filled with pathways of energy, similar to how the inside of a piano has a string that resonates with each, single key, then the tuning of these pathways, similar to the tuning of a piano, brings resonance to each string to the right pitch, so the piano plays with a harmonious sound. When we chant the bija and petal chakra mantras, we are tuning our subtle body like a piano, so that our whole being vibrates in a harmonious resonance. In the second hour of this class, Eddie will share teachings from the afternoon talks Pattabhi Jois gave in his home in Mysore, in 1999, from his small book, "Mysore Journals". There will also be ample time for Q&A each day, and a short practice of resonant breathing.
Location: Prinseneiland 20G, Amsterdam
NB: If you have registerd for the Mysore Practice on Monday or Tuesday please send an e-mail to email@example.com so we can help you with scheduling the starttime of your practice as we work with different timeslots.
Extra on Saturday 16th June, 17:00-18:00:
Ganesh Puja for Knot On My Planet
We will inaugurate this workshop with a special ceremony to honor Ganesh, the elephant-headed Hindu deity who is the remover of obstacles, and the giver of success for all new undertakings. This ceremony creates a feeling of joy and enthusiasm, and creates a special sense of community. Explanations will be given as we go through the steps of the ceremony, which will include group chanting and other offerings. Throughout 2018, Eddie is going around the world performing this ritual to also spread the awareness of the plight of the mighty and majestic elephants, whose existence on this planet is being imperiled through poaching. While pujas are always free, we are accepting donations at the end of these special pujas, and all of the money collected will be donated to Knot On MY Planet, which supports elephant protection in Africa. These pujas are being performed, this year, in Moscow, Stockholm, Chengdu, London, Amsterdam, Milan, India, Buenos Aires, and Tel Aviv. Please wear clean, festive clothing, and bring fresh fruits, nuts, or flowers, which we will offer to Ganesh during the ritual (and cash for your highly appreciated donations). www.knotonmyplanet.org - For more information and to register for the puja please click here.
Together with Eddie Stern, we Delight Yoga, created t-shirts for #KnotOnMyPlanet - the t-shirts are available for purchase in all studios, all proceeds will go to Knot On My Planet. Find out what they look like, and find more information here.
You can register for this workshop by clicking ‘Book’ and paying online with iDeal, Credit Card or PayPal. Full payment is required to ensure your place. Registration is confirmed when payment is complete.
Are you entitled to a refund of the registration fee in case of cancellation? Please read article 16 ‘Cancellation of Workshop Registration’ in our General Terms and Conditions to know exactly where you stand.