Taught by expert teachers in their specialized field
Ayurvedic Nutrition Course
With Liese van Dam
Starting on 20 September 2019 Go to schedule
This workshop has taken place already, please visit our Workshop Page for a more recent offering of workshops and trainings.
This Ayurvedic nutrition course is for those who want to know what Ayurvedic nutrition can mean for them in modern Western life. Going deeply into the basics of classical Ayurvedic nutrition, this course translates ancient knowledge into whatever is needed here and now in the West.
This is a unique feature of this course: modern nutrition has gone haywire and presents a lot of difficult issues. Many of these issues will be addressed in this course from a modern Ayurvedic perspective. The purpose of this course is to offer in-depth training in Ayurvedic nutrition. The emphasis in this course is to learn how to implement the Ayurvedic principles regarding nutrition in your own personal life. And you will learn how to give simple – yet profound – advice to friends and family who would like to learn from you.
For qualified health professionals who actively work with clients and who would like to learn about Ayurveda: this course can serve as a great addition to integrate the knowledge of Ayurvedic nutrition into your professional life.
Yoga & Ayurveda are complementary sciences - often referred to as sister sciences. This course can also be of added value for yoga teachers wanting to inform their students about basic Ayurvedic principles regarding nutrition.
This course has been taught by the teachers of Delight Academy (and before that by The Academy of Ayurvedic Studies) since 2004. The course combines classroom hours with self-study at home and 2 fun hands-on training days in a cooking studio where you will experience Ayurvedic cooking yourself.
You will walk out of this course with:
- A very good and thorough understanding of Ayurvedic nutrition
- Clear guidelines for applying this in your own life
- Confidence to advise friends and family about the basic principles of Ayurvedic nutrition
- The joy to apply Ayurvedic principles to any way of cooking, from Indian recipes to any western recipes
- The Tridosha theory (Vata, Pitta, Kapha)
- The five elements and the six tastes
- The concept of time throughout the day, year and life
- Sattva, Rajas and Tamas and energetic qualities of food
- The important principles of Ayurveda nutrition, valid for all people
- Tridosha theory applied to the person - physical and psychological profiles
- Ayurvedic diagnosis - which type are you?
- Avoid disaster - Learn how to eat and how this can affect the digestive process
- How to avoid the dangers of dieting and food fads
- Learn to eat according to your metabolic capacity
- Description of food groups from an Ayurvedic perspective; fruits, vegetables, grains, oils, spices, etcetera
- Why eating a low-protein diet is key to health
- What to do about environmental pollutants
- How to lose weight permanently by increasing metabolic function
- Lifestyle and daily routine as nutritional support
- Dietary supplements - myths, facts and traditions
- Increasing immunity through diet
- Practical experience and learning how to give simple and effective advice to people around you
- Case study
- Two cooking days
Dates & Locations
The course consists of eight classroom days and two cooking days and is held at our Prinseneiland studio as well as cooking studio Peter Pan in the Houthavens area (Nieuwe Hemweg 6S, Amsterdam). At Peter Pan, you will have two classroom days as well as the two cooking days.
- 20 September 2019 - Prinseneiland
- 11 October 2019 - Prinseneiland
- 1 November 2019 - Prinseneiland
- 15 November 2019 - Peter Pan (cooking day)
- 29 November 2019 - Peter Pan
- 13 December 2019 - Peter Pan
- 17 January 2019 - Peter Pan (cooking day)
- 7 February 2020 - Prinseneiland
- 14 February 2020 - Prinseneiland
- 6 March 2020 - Prinseneiland
During the course, we will be using 2 textbooks. You will need to purchase these two books:
- Vaidya Atreya Smith - Ayurvedic Nutrition
- Robert Svoboda - Prakriti
- Additional recommend books but not obligatory: Todd Caldecott – Food as Medicine
No previous experience with Ayurveda is required to join this course. This course includes a total of 60 contact hours taught in 10 days from 10.00 till 17.00, plus 120 hours of self-study spread throughout the duration of the course.
- Online assignments throughout the course, which you can make in the comfort of your own home
- One written case study
- A class presentation
Upon successful completion, a certificate of 180 study hours (60 contact hours) in Ayurveda Studies will be awarded from Delight Academy.
Students who have successfully finished Nutrition Course I and would like to proceed with the 4-year Bachelor’s level Ayurveda Practitioner Studies (APS) at Delight Academy are eligible for an exemption of 40 hours (this is the number of hours taught in Ayurvedic Nutrition in Year I of the APS).
If you have any questions relating to this course, please contact us at email@example.com.
You can register for this workshop by clicking ‘Book’ and paying online with iDeal, Credit Card or PayPal. Full payment is required to ensure your place. Registration is confirmed when payment is complete.
Are you entitled to a refund of the registration fee in case of cancellation? Please read article 16 ‘Cancellation of Workshop Registration’ in our General Terms and Conditions to know exactly where you stand.
About Liese van Dam
Liese originally trained as a hatha yoga teacher in India. Her journey with yoga started at a time when life didn’t give her a lot of satisfaction and she was looking for a way to bring spirituality into her life. Once discovered, she intensely practiced and taught all aspects of yoga – including pranayama, philosophy and chanting - for several years in various countries across the globe before settling back in her home country – The Netherlands.
A note on Wellbeing - Creating a safe and sacred space
We wish to create a safe and sacred space to study, practice and grow for everyone. Please take care of your own health and wellbeing while participating in classes, workshops and, trainings offered by Delight Yoga. If you're currently having any physical, emotional or mental issues, or prefer no hands-on adjustments, please make sure to discuss this with the teacher up front.