Taught by expert teachers in their specialized field
Introduction to Ayurvedic Yoga Massage Weekend Workshop
Starting on 12 November 2021 Go to schedule
Ayurvedic Yoga Massage (AYM) is a method developed by Master Kusum Modak in Pune, India, after many years of studying traditional Ayurvedic massage and Iyengar yoga.
It is well-rounded body work technique that has its foundation in:
- deep tissue techniques with both hands and feet for each body part
- balancing oils and powders
- assisted yoga stretches
- use of props to supplement the massage
- functional anatomy and breathwork
The technique is performed on the floor as this allows for a wide range of stretching and mobility, without the assistance of a massage table.
The AYM is an amazing technique which works on physical, emotional, mental, and energetic levels: the deep tissue massage helps to remove knots and adhesions in the muscles, releases tension, and prepares the body of the receiver for assisted yoga stretching. Through synchronized breathwork, the receiver is led progressively deeper into assisted yoga postures that help correct postural imbalances and restore harmony to the body.
The price includes the "Introduction to AYM" Reader, which you will be able to keep after the weekend.
What will you learn?
- the basic technique, the flow for the front and the back of the body and a few assisted stretches
- how to use your body weight as well as different parts of our body to offer pressure: this will ensure you to work in a gentle way, without creating unnecessary pain sensations for the receiver and without stressing any of your joints or muscle groups
- introduction to body dynamics and different positions: so that offering a massage can be a healing experience for the giver too, not just for the receiver
- several deep tissue techniques for different body parts and group muscles
- basic oils according to the Ayurvedic tradition
- giver/receiver body mechanic and self-care will be taught throughout
- basic functional anatomy and contraindications will be taught for each technique
During the Introduction to AYM we lay down the basis of the work on the back and front of the body; you will learn a complete set of techniques and a few assisted stretches.
The focus is on how to perform a basic deep tissue technique for the back, shoulders & arms, back of the legs when your partner is face down/prone. Then we will move to the basic flow for the front of the legs, abdomen, shoulders, arms, hands and feet and head.
Basic theory on Ayurveda with direct practical implications on oils, touch and direction will be covered.