Taught by expert teachers in their specialized field
The Path of Astanga Yoga
Starting on 23 February 2019 Go to schedule
This workshop has taken place already, please visit our Workshop Page for a more recent offering of workshops and trainings.
An In-depth study of Primary Series in its traditional method as taught by Sri K Pattabhi Jois of Mysore, with Claudia Pradella & Eva Ugolini.
Through the direct experience of teachers who have been part of this Astanga Vinyasa lineage for a long time, you will be guided through the deeper experience of this unique system based on a one-to-one approach – a system which has only slightly evolved since it was taught by Krishnamacharya in the ‘30s, then Pattabhi Jois from the ‘50s and more recently Sharath Jois. This is the meaning of the traditional guru-shishya paramparā method of transmission (literally “succession from guru to disciple”), where lineage is the primary essence and requirement for the practice of yoga, which guarantees an uninterrupted succession of teachers and disciples.
Your personal practice in the traditional Mysore style is the foundation of this path. We will help you individually to progress in your own practice and to deal with whatever physical, mental or emotional difficulties you have encountered in the practice. 99% practice, 1% theory. You will practice, consistently and traditionally, to continuously develop the experiential knowledge that is the base from which understanding of the method develops – both for practice and for teaching.
- You will be extensively exposed to the history of this tradition, understanding its context, origin and evolution over the past 50 years. You will refine your Sanskrit pronunciation skills, so as to be at ease with the names of the asanas, the counts and the chants which are used in daily practice.
- We will explore both methods of teaching classes – counted through led classes and mysore style, helping you understanding how to adjust students in classes and how to help each of your students individually, according to their own unique needs.
- You will undergo an in-depth study of the Vinyasa counting system used in led classes, shedding light on the mysterious Sanskrit numbers interlinked to each breath, in each asana, in each series of the Astanga Vinyasa Yoga system.
- We will spend extensive time in learning Hands-On Adjustments, understanding individual body differences and developing the necessary confidence to help each person in the most appropriate way.
- You will be guided and mentored in this process directly by one of the teachers. You will practice and assist classes with them, to put your skills into action and to fine tune your capacity to relate to your own practice and to that of other students – both in led and in mysore classes.
- We will cover all important aspects of the practice and its philosophical context, reviewing some relevant parts of Patanjali’s Yoga Sutras, which directly connect to the Astanga Yoga system.
- We will also introduce the complete Astanga Pranayama system, so that you can learn to practice it safely and progressively in support of your inner journey.
This course is suitable for students who have already completed an astanga based 200-hour Teacher Training Course or are fully dedicated practitioners of Astanga Vinyasa Yoga having completed primary series, with the desire to learn more about the traditional system and to share this practice with others. An established daily practice already for a minimum of 2 years is required to participate in this in-depth study.
- Mysore style practice
- hands-on adjustments for primary series
- vinyasa counting system for primary series
- full vinyasa vs half vinyasa counting systems
- the history and lineage of astanga yoga
- the teacher-student relationship
- astanga pranayamas
- astangi’s lifestyle in modern times
You will be asked to meet in student groups to practice adjustments Mysore style with each other outside the training days (approx. 4 times). You will also be invited to assist regular Mysore classes with a senior teacher during this course (approx. 4 classes).
This In-Depth program covers a total of approximately 100 hours, plus requires you to practice daily, 6 times a week. Please note that this is not in itself a teacher training certification program.
- an established daily practice already for a minimum of 2 years
- having completed Primary Series
- having completed an astanga based 200-hour Teacher Training Course or equivalent course
- a full dedication to the Astanga Vinyasa Yoga system, with the desire to share this practice with others and to learn more about the traditional system
NB: this is the discounted price offered to you as you have attended the 200 hrs Basic Training with us. The regular price for this program is €1390.
You can register for this workshop by clicking ‘Book’ and paying online with iDeal, Credit Card or PayPal. Full payment is required to ensure your place. Registration is confirmed when payment is complete.
Are you entitled to a refund of the registration fee in case of cancellation? Please read article 16 ‘Cancellation of Workshop Registration’ in our General Terms and Conditions to know exactly where you stand.